When you first get your portable generator, it can be tempting to just plug everything in and let the power flow. But before you do that, there are a few things you should know about how to make the most out of your new generator. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the dos and don’ts of using your portable generator for the first time. By following these tips, you’ll be able to ensure that your generator is running smoothly and providing you with the power you need when you need it most!
- Do read the Owner’s Manual – Before you do anything else, it’s important that you read the owner’s manual for your portable generator. This will give you a good understanding of how the generator works and what you need to do to keep it running properly.
- Do plan for how much power your will need to draw from the generator – portable generators are available in a variety of sizes, so it’s important that you select one that will be able to provide the amount of power you need. If you’re not sure how much power you’ll need, it’s better to err on the side of caution and get a generator that’s too big rather than one that’s too small.
- Do keep any extension cords in good condition – If you’re going to be using extension cords with your portable generator, it’s important to make sure that they are in good condition. Any frayed or damaged cords could pose a serious safety hazard.
- Do use the generator in a well-ventilated area – Portable generators produce emissions so it’s important to use them in a well-ventilated area.
- Do keep extra fuel on hand and stored properly – If you’re going to be using your portable generator for an extended period of time, you’ll need to make sure that you have extra fuel on hand. Fuel should be stored in a cool, dry place and it’s always a good idea to have a backup plan in case you run out.
- Do ask for help if you’re not sure how to use the generator – If you’re not sure how to properly operate your portable generator, don’t hesitate to contact us and ask for help. We’re happy to give you advice as we want you to get the most from your purchase.
- Don’t overload the generator – One of the most common mistakes people make when using portable generators is to overload them. This can cause the generator to overheat and shut down, so it’s important to only use as much power as the generator can handle.
- Don’t operate the generator in wet or humid conditions – Another mistake people make is operating their portable generators in wet or humid conditions. This can damage the generator and pose a serious safety hazard.
- Don’t try to power the generator with an extension cord – portable generators are not designed to be powered by extension cords. This can damage the cord and pose a fire hazard.
- Don’t use the generator indoors – portable generators produce harmful emissions that can be dangerous to your health if they’re used indoors.
- Don’t store the generator in a damp or wet area – Storing your portable generator in a damp or wet area can damage it and shorten its lifespan.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to get the most out of your portable generator and keep it running smoothly for years to come! If you’ve got any further operating questions or are needing help choosing the right unit for your needs, call us on 1800 442 447 today and we’ll be happy to help!